North West Hunt Saboteurs

North West Hunt Sabs Group News
January 2008-September 2008

Since the start of 2008 sabs from Manchester, Liverpool and Cumbria have been regular attendees at many hunts in the North West from deepest, darkest Derbyshire up to the dizzy heights of Cumbria.

Following one such visit to Cumbria the huntsman of the Coniston Foxhounds - Michael Gerald Nicholson pleaded guilty to criminal damage after attacking a hunt sabs car. Nicholson was given a 12-month conditional discharge, and ordered to pay £150 in compensation plus costs of £58.

During one visit to the High Peak Hunt, near Bakewell the huntsman lost control of his pack of hounds on numerous occasions. This resulted in chaos on the roads and in the fields around the area. One occasion the pack were filmed running back and forth across a main road. Also pack were filmed looking for the scent of a hare they had been chasing, all this without the huntsman in the area.

Sabs where the only ones present where they proceeded to slow down the cars driving along the road, thus preventing any loss of life. They also made sure the hunt did not chase any hares they were after. 30 minutes later the same occurred again, with the same result. This time one of the hounds went astray.

When the hunt finally called it a day they were still missing a hound, which eventually came running down the road to the meet 20 minutes after the huntsman had put away the rest of his pack.

In March sabs also attended the closing meet of the elusive Forest and District Beagles. (pic 1, pic 2 and pic 3).

Later the same day sabs were at the last meet of the season of the High Peak Hunt. Here the hunt were filmed chasing a hare.

We fought the law and we won

On the 11th November 2006 seven hunt monitors attended a duck shoot near Chorley, Lancs. They were alerted to the shoot following a tip off from a local who was disgusted and upset at what was going on nearby.

On arriving at the shoot the monitors entered the field via a public footpath with nothing more than cameras and videos.

When the shooters noticed the monitors they then stopped as advised by The British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC).

The shoot then called the police who arrived 45 minutes later.

After talks!!! with the shoot, the monitors were arrested for Section 68 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1998 (aggravated trespass).

After 18 months of waiting for the case to come to court our day came at the start of April 2008.

The first witness was the shoot captain who described in great detail how the shoot worked. When questioned by the prosecution as to whether they had a Health and Safety policy under the ‘Health and Safety at Work Act 1974,’ the answer was no.

As a result of him saying no, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) decided to offer no evidence and the magistrates then entered formal not guilty verdicts against all the monitors.

The reason the CPS made this decision was because there was no policy in place so the monitors could not be convicted of the offence of aggravated trespass because the shoot itself was not a lawful activity.

Picture of police 'checking the drivers details' (does it really need four of them to do this?)

Members of the Brindle shoot (Oh don't they look happy), if anyone has any info. on any members of the shoot please can they let us know ASAP.


Group news March 2007-January 2008

Group news September 2006-March 2007

Group news September 2005-March 2006

Grouse shoot sab 13th August 2005

Group news September 2004-September 2005

Grouse shoot sab 14th August 2004

Group news September 2004-March 2005

Group news March 1995-January 2000

Contact us

Tel: 07960 038230

For all the latest news check our blog

We are also on Facebook and Twitter

We are now also on Facebook

We are now also on Twitter